Host specificity of avian haemosporidian parasites is unrelated among sister lineages but shows phylogenetic signal across larger clades
These are the data used in the study "Host specificity of avian haemosporidian parasites is unrelated among sister lineages but shows phylogenetic signal across larger clades" by Vincenzo A. Ellis and Staffan Bensch. We performed an analysis of phylogenetic signal on host specificity of avian haemosporidian parasites. Here you can find the data we downloaded from MalAvi (http://mbio-serv2.mbioekol.lu.se/Malavi/) on 13 September 2017 and the phylogenetic trees we ran in RAxML for each of the three parasite genera (Plasmodium, Haemoproteus, Leucocytozoon) based on the barcode region of cytochrome b found in MalAvi. We also wrote some functions in R to facilitate downloading data from MalAvi and analyzing the phylogenies. These R functions are included in the R package malaviR (https://github.com/vincenzoaellis/malaviR) currently available on GitHub, but also provided here. The GitHub repository has detailed descriptions of the functions and examples for how to use them. There is also a key linking the host taxonomy in MalAvi to the taxonomy used on birdtree.org and that is included here as well.