Data for: Delimitation of nutrient threatened areas - a comprehensive method to manage a persistent problem of agriculture
Description of this data
The current database supplements the paper entitled: Delimitation of nutrient threatened areas - a comprehensive method to manage a persistent problem of agriculture.
Presented database is an integral part of the delimitation method for zones susceptible to nutrient pollution from areas used for agriculture. The Nitrate Vulnerable Zones of agricultural origin (NVZ) have served as an example of a method application in the pilot catchment of the Warta River, which is one of the largest river catchments in Poland. The proposed method employs a mathematical algorithm using catchment modeling and relies on a multi-stage delimitation procedure. This procedure allows for precise delineation of only those areas of the catchment, which actually contribute to the analyzed problem (nutrient pollution and eutrophication).
Uploaded database is a starting point for the identification stage for the Warta River catchment based on evaluation of nutrient concentrations for each of the catchment sub-catchments (640). Concentration values have been obtained from the SWAT model daily simulated nutrient loads, transformed into annual sums then subsequently converted into yearly concentrations. For each sub-catchment the multiannual maxima were taken into consideration. For further information please see the original paper.
The database consists of two main files containing quantitative information for all the 640 sub-catchments (identif_data_plots.xlsx), and graphical presentation of model results (identific_map.zip).
The file ‘identif_data_plots.xlsx’ contains:
A. sheet ‘MX’ including:
• sub-catchment number ‘SUB’;
• maximum annual concentrations for years 2010-2015 of:
o total phosphorus ‘Mx_TP’ [mg P/l]
o total nitrogen ‘Mx_TN’ [mg N/l]
o nitrate ‘Mx_NO3’ [mg N/l]
• identification of sub-catchment with violated environmental standards of 50 mg NO3/l ‘identifNO3’(1 is violated standard and 0 is nonviolated standard);
• identification of sub-catchments with violated environmental standards of selected eutrophication parameters ‘identifTPTN’ (1 is violated standard and 0 is nonviolated standard);
• algorithm for identification sub-catchments with violated environmental standards according to defined method for NZV designation ‘identif_joined’ (1 is violated standard and 0 is nonviolated standard).
B. sheet ‘MX_plots’containing:
• plots for standards violation of TN, TP and NO3s and joined plot of identification of SWBs which do not meet the described standards;
• data needed for each plot preparation.
The identific_map.zip file contains a shapefile (GIS) which is a digital map of sub-catchment qualified as a potential NVZs with information about nutrient concentrations.
Experiment data files
Cite this dataset
Orlinska-Wozniak, Paulina; Szalinska, Ewa; Wilk, Paweł (2020), “Data for: Delimitation of nutrient threatened areas - a comprehensive method to manage a persistent problem of agriculture”, Mendeley Data, v1 http://dx.doi.org/10.17632/rn8j755vdd.1