Major tidal constituents for the Indian Ocean and Western Pacific Basin
Description of this data
This data is intended to enable comparisons of major tidal constituents measured at tide gauges in the Indian Ocean and Western Pacific Basin with ocean models that aim to be able to replicate the barotropic surface tides in the region.
A nice way to view and edit this data is to make a Google "my maps". Simply click "add layer" and drag in the .csv. You are then able to drag the icons to new locations if you are confident of its misplacement. You can create a kml or kmz file of the station locations with this method too.
Use for model comparison/validation and related research (do not use for navigational purposes)
Experiment data files
Steps to reproduce
Some of the data is listed in the following publications:
- Fang, G., Wang, Y., Wei, Z., Choi, B.H., Wang, X., Wang, J., 2004. Empirical cotidal charts of the Bohai, Yellow, and East China Seas from 10 years of TOPEX/Poseidon altimetry. J. Geophys. Res. Ocean. 109, 1–13. doi:10.1029/2004JC002484
- Fang, G., Kwok, Y.-K., Yu, K., Zhu, Y., 1999. Numerical simulation of principal tidal constituents in the South China Sea, Gulf of Tonkin and Gulf of Thailand. Cont. Shelf Res. 19, 845–869. doi:10.1016/S0278-4343(99)00002-3
- Krien, Y., Mayet, C., Testut, L., Durand, F., Tazkia, A.R., Islam, A.K.M.S., Gopalakrishna, V. V., Becker, M., Calmant, S., Shum, C.K., Khan, Z.H., Papa, F., Ballu, V., 2016. Improved Bathymetric Dataset and Tidal Model for the Northern Bay of Bengal. Mar. Geod. 39, 422–438. doi:10.1080/01490419.2016.1227405
- Robertson, R., Ffield, A., 2008. Baroclinic tides in the Indonesian seas: Tidal fields and comparisons to observations. J. Geophys. Res. Ocean. 113, 1–22. doi:10.1029/2007JC004677
- Wei, Z., Fang, G., Susanto, R.D., Adi, T.R., Fan, B., Setiawan, A., Li, S., Wang, Y., Gao, X., 2016. Tidal elevation, current, and energy flux in the area between the South China Sea and Java Sea. Ocean Sci. 12, 517–531. doi:10.5194/os-12-517-2016
Some of the data is available at websites listed in related links
The rest of the data (GELSA-2, KHOA and UHSLC FD) has been produced through harmonic decomposition of time series of the surface elevations by Utide in MATLAB
Cite this dataset
Pringle, William (2017), “Major tidal constituents for the Indian Ocean and Western Pacific Basin”, Mendeley Data, v1 http://dx.doi.org/10.17632/tjyjn56jbf.1
The files associated with this dataset are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence.