Data: Trends and Hot Topics in Gamification in Education- a bibliometric analysis from 1953 to 2019
Description of this data
Bibliometric analysis is an approach to analyse academic literatures based on metrics such as citations. The software HistCite helps reveal the top leading scholars, the journals in the target field, the most cited documents, key words, numbers of yearly output, document types of the published documents, language, institutions contributing in the field, and countries of the authors in the given field. The software HistCite also generates historiography which presents the relationships among the most highly cited articles.
Experiment data files
Steps to reproduce
Steps to reproduce:
- Open the website Web of Science, select the database “Web of Science Core Collection”. Go to the search page;
- Choose “Topic” as the research objectives, which includes title, abstract, author, key keywords and Keywords Plus;
- Input keywords. For the attached dataset, this author inputs keywords (“gamification” OR “gamify” OR “gamified” OR “gamifying” OR “serious game” OR “gameful design” OR “game-like”) AND (“education”). To be noted, the keywords “game elements”, “non-game contexts”, “digital games” and “game-based learning” must be excluded since the trail study with these keywords involved a large number of far-fetched documents that are not in line with the current topic;
- Choose the timespan “All years (1990-2019)”;
- Click “more settings” below, select all the citation indexes, including Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED) --1900-present, Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI) --1900-present, Arts & Humanities Citation Index (A&HCI) --1975-present, Conference Proceedings Citation Index- Science (CPCI-S) --1990-present, Conference Proceedings Citation Index- Social Science & Humanities (CPCI-SSH) --1990-present, Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI) --2015-present, Current Chemical Reactions (CCR-EXPANDED) --1986-present and Index Chemicus (IC) --1993-present;
- Search. There will be a new webpage opened presenting 4059 results;
- Click “Export”- “Other file format”- “Record content (Full record and cited references)”- “File format (Plain text)”. Export the data;
- Input the data to the software HistCite. The data format is plain text with the suffix .txt;
- Run the software HistCite;
- Go to “Analyses”, save the reports on the following aspects: general records, authors, journals, cited references, words, yearly output, document type, language, institution, institution with subdivision and country;
- Generate the historiography based on LCS. Go to “Tools” and “Graph Maker”, choose “LCS”, count as “30”, and make the graph. Save the graph and the reference list;
- Generate the historiography based on GCS. Go to “Tools” and “Graph Maker”, choose “GCS” or "LCS", count as “30”, and make the graph. Save the graph and the reference list;
- Arrange the reports and the 2 historiographies.
Cite this dataset
Luo, Zhanni (2019), “Data: Trends and Hot Topics in Gamification in Education- a bibliometric analysis from 1953 to 2019”, Mendeley Data, v3 http://dx.doi.org/10.17632/x5br9mp729.3
Compare to version
The files associated with this dataset are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International licence.